Tuesday, July 21, 2009

longing for significance?

I've been thinking some lately about a perceived desire for greatness that I've identified in myself. I often have conflicting feelings about this realization because on one hand I think a desire for greatness can be fuel to do great things (hopefully for God). But on the other hand striving for greatness is a pursuit fraught with danger, both for my own soul and probably for others.

Then today I was reading a book by an author I trust and he talked about 3 basic human needs that God the Father met for Jesus in the account of Jesus' baptism. The needs for identity, security, and significance. Ahhh, significance... maybe that's what I've been searching for!? So, now I am wondering if it's really significance that I'm looking for, or if it actually is greatness, and whether one or both are good or bad or neutral. I'm confused.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I often wonder about this too, Bear, and in my mind I continually refer to it as "leaving a legacy." It's not the thought that my legacy needs to be filled with impressive accomplishments, but yet, the simpler ones that have greater impact on those around me. When I think about "leaving a legacy" I focus more on..."If I were to die, what would people say about me? Was I my best self? Did I treat others well? Did I put others before me?would God be proud of the life I've lived?

Have you had anymore thoughts on this topic?

berry said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The idea of "legacy" is very close to what I long for. Unfortunately for me I think I do long for impressive accomplishments, partly because I admire them in other people. I hope to be more like you, working for simpler things that have a greater impact on those around me. I think that's a good goal. Your last question, "would God be proud of the life I've lived?" reminds me of a passage in scripture where God says, "well done good and faithful servant". I want to hear that at the end of my life. Thanks for spurring on more thoughts in me.