Friday, January 18, 2008

day-time television

What kind of society are we? What's wrong with us?

My car broke down today driving from Gainesville to St. Augustine. First I experienced the good side of our society. After, talking to a couple of unhelpful people over the phone I finally talked to a mechanic that was willing to drive out and check out my car where I was for no extra charge. He did all the little tests that a seasoned mechanic knows to do to eliminate possibilities. How to easily check and see that fuel is getting to the engine... How to see whether it is getting a spark... or compression. In the end I had to get it towed in because it wasn't the kind of thing that could be fixed on the side of the road.

Finally, I got to the auto-repair shop with my car. In the waiting room all I wanted was a little bit of silence to clear my mind and figure out how to make the best of a bad day. Instead, I get a TV that is blaring day-time television at me. Is there anything decent on daytime television? It is just ridiculous. My heart grieves for the people who go onto these day-time talk television shows and it also grieves for the people that except it as entertainment. I am angry, frustrated, and sad all at the same time. We are a people who have sold our souls to the god of entertainment and I don't know what will become of us. Am I being over-reactionary here? I don't know anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't believe you are over reacting. This young generation that I am a part of is consumed with the misery of others. It is just day-time television it is all the reality shows as well. Everything has to do with showing the bad side of people and all of their mistakes. Now a days people even make their careers off of doing dumb things on a reality show. But think about the biggest show on television right now, American Idol, the first couple of weeks is two hours every night of people that are really bad singers that everyone in America is making fun of. It makes me sad.

Justmatt said...

Are you talking about the Honda? I mean come on -we all know Honda's don't break down... shurly you jest.

berry said...

I love the Honda Civic. 12 years old, fuel efficient, no car payments, low insurance. I've only had 2 problems with it. I had to replace some parts of the exhaust system and I've had to replace the distributor (twice). I guess they don't like distributors.

I can see the point about American Idol. I put it in a slightly different category because it doesn't represent destroyed lives and families but it is symptomatic of what we find entertaining.

Amy said...

i think nearly everything on TV that is not a scripted production is a symptom of a great disease... namely pride. There are, of course, elements of greed, gluttony, adultery, etc., but it really all comes back to "what can make me famous? or how can i get close to that which is already famous, and be famous by association?" It makes us feel better about our own sins to sit at home and say, "well, at least I'm not as bad as THAT guy," (pride, again) and so we allow it as entertainment. Awesome.