Wednesday, January 30, 2008

second degree


**warning: this post is not for the weak of heart or stomach**

I have come to the conclusion that second degree burns on the roof of your mouth is one of the worst fates you could wish on a person.

Over the weekend, while dining at an asian bistro I put a scalding (some might say boiling) piece of broccoli in my mouth. Being my typical prideful self, I chose to keep it in my mouth and just cover my face with a napkin while I tried to choke it down and hold back the tears. (unsuccessfully)

I kept thinking during the rest of the meal that I wasn't supposed to feel flesh that soft and lose throughout my mouth. When I finally got in front of a mirror I was surprised to to see that my mouth was bleeding it two big places from the burns. After some forceful argumentation about whether or not it deserved a trip to the hospital we finally decided to just shove some gauze in my mouth and continue with our plans.

I've spent the remainder of the week fighting the impulse to go to the doctor, fighting a sore throat, and lamenting that every delicious bite of food comes with pain. In my still painful state I can not imagine many fates worse than prolonged contact with boiling water on the inside of your mouth. Please do not wish this on your enemies.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I went to the dentist one time when the sores left by burns had gotten so bad that I couldn't function or sleep anymore - he did some nifty little trick where he sealed up the wounds...don't know if you can find someone up there to do that for you, but it was welllllll worth it.