Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Quick-fix Christianity

Against my better judgment I am going to post a quote here from a book I am reading by none other than John White. I say "against my better judgment" because when I read quotes online without their context I almost always feel like they must have meant more to the person quoting them than to me. But I read this today and it so completely rings true to my observations and maybe even experience that I want to share it. And if anyone wants to discuss it with me in this context or another I'd love to. Here it is:

"Our day is a day of superficial Christianity. To become a Christian you are supposed to agree to certain correct beliefs. Gradually you learn the Christian jargon and gain confidence socializing in the Christian community. This is the quick-fix form of Christianity." - John White, The Pathway of Holiness (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1996) p.65

2 comments:

D. S. Long Construction, Inc. said...

I agree completely...I see it around me more than makes me comfortable and sometimes even in myself. But it is in these times when "He" opens my eyes and make me realize that it is more important to help others with no recognition than to "act" like a Christian.

berry said...

right, and yet we do have to act like Christians. not in the "using Christian jargon" way but in the "becoming holy just as Christ is holy" way.

we have to help others see that God is not a "benevolent grandfather" figure but that truly recognizing him in his majesty and power means that we can't ignore his demands on our lives.

so, somehow we have to be holy, but not with words and "Christian language". we have to allow him to fix the core of our identity and go beyond the "quick-fix".