Thursday, October 4, 2007

I finished a book...


I just finished Growing Your Faith by Giving It Away by York Moore. Below is a summary of it I wrote as part of group of friends who are reading together.

This book was very compelling. I almost always enjoy reading evangelism books because it is a subject I don’t feel like an expert in. Some evangelism books spur me on to actively sharing the Gospel more than others though. This is one of them. York Moore has a very straight forward manor and language in his evangelism. He doesn’t shy away from words like repentance, hell, sin, and death. Although I think my approach with people is much different it is also clear that sometimes I miss opportunities to convey what’s vitally important. It is a good challenge for me to move some in that direction.

The strength of the book in my estimation is that he explores the realm of listening and responding to the Holy Spirit in evangelism that we all experience. He is direct about this as well but doesn’t shy away from telling his failures as well as his successes in responding to God’s promptings. Really, it’s the candid nature of his personal experiences that is so helpful. He writes about what we’ve all felt and gives examples of how God meets us more than half way in these situations and uses our meager efforts. Not all of his stories end in someone’s conversion. That is refreshing because it is so true of my experience. And in the end, the title of the book captures really well the theme he explores throughout. He sees evangelism as an adventure together with Jesus that stretches us and grows our faith. He sees it as the call of every Christian and reminds us that Jesus has promised to be with us, day after day, to the very end.

No comments: