Friday, October 26, 2007

Getting Your Feet Dirty


hey, I finished another book. I like having accountability for this in my life as I read alongside some of my staff friends. If anyone would like to see our reading list and join us just let me know. Here are my thoughts on the latest book I read...

Before reading Getting Your Feet Dirty I had read Jesus With Dirty Feet and The Smell of Sin written by Don Everts. I loved both of those books; they were insightful, creative, and beautifully written. This book was not what I expected. Part of that is that it was written to people who are not familiar with the story of the early church as recorded in Acts. I am and it was not as compelling to me. But that may be my fault. I think it would be more compelling for people who are not as familiar with the story and maybe I read it from too prideful a perspective.

The strength of the book lies in that it does a good job of unpacking what happened at Pentecost and in the days and months that followed. It shows how the first followers of Jesus began to live out their new lives. If we all followed their examples in our own contexts there is much that is wrong that would be right. It is simple and I appreciate that. I think it would be a good book to put in the hands of a new believer, but I can think of other books that I would read alongside a new believer to discuss with them, and that is what I was looking for.

No comments: