Tuesday, November 6, 2007

building the Kingdom

are we called to build the Kingdom of God? Jesus almost always preached about the Kingdom of God (or Heaven) but he never said anything about advancing it or building it. instead, he said stuff like, "the Kingdom is within you" or "the Kingdom is here" or "the Kingdom is near". but never, "go forth, and build ye the Kingdom".

how has "building the Kingdom" slipped into our language so easily? I use this phrase all the time but it was pointed out to me today that behind that phrase lies a mindset of works that is in contrast to the Kingdom that is both "already" and "not yet".

is it wrong to think in terms of building or advancing the Kingdom?

(origin of thoughts credit: This Beautiful Mess)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Bear, I have actually not commented because I've been thinking about it all week and I don't have an answer. I think maybe "adding to the kingdom" is one way to go. Advancing sounds so militaristic, and building sounds like something we could take pride in. Maybe, "welcoming the kingdom" or "seeking"...