Tuesday, November 13, 2007

progress?

I haven't read many books from the 1600's but a few years back I read The Pilgrim's Progress. One of the characters in the allegory that Christian walks along with for awhile is a guy named Talkative. I remember Talkative because I was severely convicted by this character. He seemed like a great guy to Christian at first and he had great ideas and talked about all the right things. But slowly, Christian began to realize that all he ever did was talk. And he wasn't really willing to do anything and live out his values, he just wanted to talk about the faith.

There is way too much "Talkative" in me. I have seen that again and again. I'm an idealist and I love to talk about my ideals. It's much harder for me to get around to living them out though. And so I fall into the trap of talking and talking and never doing the things I know I should do.

Well, today someone came into my office and was telling me about these boys and girls that she works with that are coming from some pretty tough living situations and the need for people to invest in them and see their potential and be with them as they do their homework and stuff. Now for 2 years, I have talked about and had the personal goal to get involved in some kind of after-school program here in Gainesville. The opportunity presented itself today.

Will I just be all talk?

1 comment:

Amy said...

A completely irrelevant point: Pilgrim's Progess was the reason for my only after-school detention hall.

Go for it! Dive in! We'll ask you about it when we see you next weekend. :)